Tuesday, March 11, 2008

If Hillary is David, is Monica Goliath?

Allison F's hubby throws his hat in the ring:

My thinking on politics is focused on policy, not personalities. Scripture judges rulers not principally on their personal lives, but on how their rule affects the poor and powerless.

If I were to select among the current three likely candidates based on their personal life, the one candidate I could not support would be the one who abandoned his wife and children, thus failing a fundamental scriptural qualification for leadership.

Admittedly, the Clinton years were full of painful personal drama, but they also produced budget surpluses, a productive economy, low interest rates, welfare reform, smaller government, and successful foreign policy (e.g. stabilizing the Mexican and Asian financial meltdowns plus a successful military intervention in Kosovo). (Editor's note: Reagan spoke about it, Clinton did it.)

I'd also like to add: when you think about it, there were some OT heros who had sexual scandal, foremost being David who was also a murderer, go figure. Obviously, it sickens me when men literally screw up because it reeks of egomania.

That Obama doesn't have that issue, and I'll accept Mark's view of why this is true, is a good thing. But I am more concerned about his willingness to be fiscally responsible as the economy tanks and whether he really gasps foreign affairs, next problem up: Columbia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clinton also raised taxes and missed the chance to take out Obama.

LG

Anonymous said...

Clinton also raised taxes and missed the chance to take out Obama.

LG

Anonymous said...

I should clarify that Steve's comments ended with Kosovo.

The thing about King David was me babbling on late at night. There are obvious problems with the example because Israel was not a secular democracy for starters.

But I can safely speak for Steve when I that the increasing problems in our economy loom large in our minds and we're not talking about NAFTA.

Alison