Monday, March 3, 2008

Obama's Sermon on the Mount



Barack Obama is a professed Christian and member of Trinity Unity Church in Chicago, Illinois. He is also a candidate for the office President of United States. Barring a miracle by Hillary Clinton, he will be the nominee for the Democratic Party.

Barack Obama also holds several heterodox views about Christian morality. Heterodox to other Christians, that is. He is pro-abortion and pro-gay civil unions/adoption.

Senator Obama was at a campaign event yesterday. It was a town hall meeting with a question/answer format. One questioner, Leon Forte, a Protestant clergyman, asked Obama about evangelical Christians who were concerned about his position on issues that conservatives consider "litmus tests."

"I don't think it [a same-sex union] should be called marriage, but I think that it is a legal right that they should have that is recognized by the state," said Obama. "If people find that controversial then I would just refer them to the Sermon on the Mount, which I think is, in my mind, for my faith, more central than an obscure passage in Romans."

So Obama believes that the Sermon on the Mount condones sexual unions between two people of the same sex. He also believes that Romans is "obscure". Where did he learn that?

Romans 1:24-27 is the "obscure" passage that Obama referenced in his answer, "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised, Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

What makes Romans "obscure" to Obama? We may never know. Maybe it is obscure because it doesn't fit into his belief system? Maybe it is obscure because it might hurt his chances of being his party’s nominee?

On the topic of abortion, Obama said his support for keeping it legal does not trespass on his Christian faith.

"I think that the bottom line is that in the end, I think women, in consultation with their pastors, and their doctors, and their family, are in a better position to make these decisions than some bureaucrat in Washington. That's my view," Obama said about abortion. "Again, I respect people who may disagree, but I certainly don't think it makes me less Christian. Okay."

Mmmm…Now, a Christian can certainly be pro-abortion, I suppose. But they would be wrong and clearly going against biblical, orthodox Christianity.

Obama certainly has voted pro-abortion. When he was in the Illinois Senate he repeatedly opposed a bill that would have defined as a "person" a baby who had survived an induced-labor abortion and was born alive.

Before discussing his views on same-sex unions and abortion, Obama told the crowd he was a "devout Christian."

"In terms of my faith, there has been so much confusion that has been deliberately perpetrated through emails and so forth, so here are the simple facts," he said. "I am a Christian. I am a devout Christian. I have been a member of the same church for 20 years, pray to Jesus every night, and try to go to church as much as I can when they are not working me. I used to go quite often.

"These days, we haven't been at the home church--I haven't been home on Sunday--for several months now. So, my faith is important to me. It is not something that I try to push on other people. But it is something that helps to guide my life and my values."

You can read the whole story here.

5 comments:

Chad said...

Obama probably said the Romans passage was "obscure" because the meanings of the terms are unclear, or so claim many. I read that the same word for "natural" and "unnatural" are used by Paul to describe long hair on men as "unnatural."

Guess I should go get a trim...

Walker said...

Let me just say, though, that I seriously doubt McCain could talk as eloquently about the SOTM (which ironically, I read in full this AM) than Obama. As much as I might disagree with his interpretation of the sermon, Obama seems to be a thoughful believer.

WD

Oso Famoso said...

Ummm...speaking eloquently about things is kind of Obama's trade-mark.

And...come on. Romans 1 isn't the only verse we crazy Christians hang our hat on when it comes to the sanctify of marriage.

Oso Famoso said...

"Obama probably said the Romans passage was "obscure" because the meanings of the terms are unclear, or so claim many."

"...In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion..."

Well...pretty clear that un-natural in this context refers to being "inflamed with lust for one another..."

If one can agrue with an honest face that that passage is unclear what is to stop somebody from arguing that John 3:16 or the resurrection narrative is unclear which, by the way, many have....

Oso Famoso said...

PS...I agree that Republicans aren't doing anything about abortion either....