Thursday, March 6, 2008

Let Me Look Upon You with My Own Eyes.....

I am now totally obsessed with Return of The Jedi as a metaphor for the election. To my wife's dismay, I may start rewriting the entire script to fit the political saga to end all sagas. Let me know if you want to help.

Luke - Barack
Clinton - Vader
Bill Clinton - The Emperor
Deval Patrick - Han Solo
Patti Solis Doyle - Jabba The Hut
Michelle - Princess Leia ( a little weird, but what can you do?)
Boba Fett - John McCain

I could go on and on, I'm such a politics AND Star Wars dork.

The most compelling theme here is Hillary as Darth:

Like Vader, I believe Hillary was corrupted by the great Emperor of American 20th century politics, Bill Clinton. She was once a sweet, smart girl from the midwest, who hitched her wagon to a powerful and cunning man, one who showed her how to compartmentalize herself all the way to greatness. She learned the ways of the Dark Side from him: crush your enemies and those who betray you, fight for power and never let go, no matter what the cost to your allies. Lie when you have to, and if you get caught, redirect the blame to others. Evade. Belittle. Never forget you are entitled. Ends justify the means. And if the end is a Clinton in power, then all means are justified.

But the question that Return of The Jedi begs is this: is there still good in Hillary? Deep down, under all those compromises she has made to Bill, all those crushed former friends, all those lies and scandals she has been responsible for or has lived through, deep down underneath all that, is there still that rosy-cheeked, earnest young liberal who worked hand in hand with Bill in Texas 40 years ago?

Barack: Search your feelings, Hillary, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.
Darth Clinton: It is too late for me, Barack. Emperor Bill will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.
Barack: Then my right honorable friend, the Senator from The State of New York, is truly dead.

While you ponder this deep mystery, I leave you with this:

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You all continue to crack me up. Very clever observations.

Walker said...

Star Wars is gay. Never got into it. What truly ruled was CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

WD

htownjenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.