Thursday, February 21, 2008

Johnson-Dollahan Act: No more Times OR Fox Bias

I read the story this morning (we subscribe!) and I agree. That piece wasn't a hit job, because it was actually a really interesting story on how hard it is to be an ethics reformer and stay totlly clean. I thought everything about the article was interesting. Notice they didn't say that McCain had an affair, they only reported that staffers were freaked out because it looked like he was having an affair. I also thought the stuff about Ketaing 5 and private planes was good info. Don't throw stones in glass houses McCain.....

All that aside, they should NOT have run it above the fold, front page. That made it look like breaking news, when there was no real breaking news. By doing so, they kick-started a news cycle that hurts McCain, just be rehashing old stuff. The right place would have been the Sunday NY Times magazine, where reflection pieces like that belong.

I won't deny that the NY Times has a liberal bias. Unfortunately, conservatives have lost the right to hold them to high journalistic standards, because of their unwavering and unflinching love for Fox news. There has never been an organization that was more of a shallow, shrill mouthpiece for one political party.

4 comments:

Walker said...

The NYT is so transparent. Do you guys know that they have like never endorsed a Republican for the presidency - like ever??!!!! Not once!!!! Not even Reagan in 1984???!!!!!

They treat McCain with kid gloves for the whole year then just as soon as he has effectively clinched the nomination - WHAM! - a low-blow hit piece!!!!! Very predictable.

I am eager to see what hard-hitting pieces on Obama the NYT writes over the next few months.

Yeah, right…..

What is sweet justice is every few months circulation figures comes out and the NYT is always bleeding readers and every few months I read an article (online!) about how the NYT had to lay off another couple of hundred people……

The world has moved on and the old, mainstream print press organs have lost their monopoly and will soon be relegated to the dust bin of history…..

My generation is the last generation that will have appreciable numbers of folks who actually subscribe to newspapers…..

htownjenny said...

"My generation is the last generation that will have appreciable numbers of folks who actually subscribe to newspapers….."

Walker, you are breaking my heart. I know it will be good for the trees when newspapers go the way of the Dodo, but diving into a fresh newspaper is one of the things I most enjoy doing each day. (I know, I am a huge nerd.) But I will get with the program after they pry the last tear-stained copy of the Sunday Times out of my hands.

Ah, the New York Times. As for the editorial policy of the paper, yes. It is liberal. No offense there as far as I am cocerned. Do you expect the commentators on Fox News (Ann Coulter aside, she should be beneath our mention) to start having philosophical agreement with Democrats? I don't mind that but I think what they did today w/the John McCain story is very wrong. Not only that it will cost the democrats votes as people rightly detect its unfairness. I am not a signatory of the Johnson-Dollahon Act & am considering a media criticism post in flagrant violation of its terms and conditions.

Walker said...

Good points. I too like the idea of a rolled up newspaper, some coffee, and a quite morning. Sadly, technology will destroy the newspaper.

Regarding Fox News and "balance", keep in mind that the Left has The New York Times, The LA Times, the Chicago Tribune, the Washington Post, the Atlanta Constitution, the Seattle Intelligencer, NBC, MSNBC (home of the Left's very own O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann), CBS, ABC, and, let's not forgot, CNN (a network who always has like 4 or 5 Democrats for every dude like Robert Novak on their 'balanced panels')......

The Right arguably has Fox News which regularily destroys their competition because - at the very least - they provide something different and not monolithically liberal...

Walker said...

Mark - this is Missy - could you please not use our real last name? thanks