Tuesday, February 26, 2008

When you don't see me.....

I just learned that No Depression magazine is ceasing publication this spring. It's true that I haven't read it in years, but the magazine, the music it covered and the message board (anyone remember those) that preceded it were such an important part of my twenties. After I graduated from SMU and split Dallas for Austin, alternative country (whatever that is, as they say at ND) was ascendant, and believe me: spending your twenties in grad school and working, listening to stuff like the Old 97s and Wilco's first album, is a good gig.

RIP No Depression.

"I wish I had a lot of answers, cause that's the way it should be, to all these questions being directed at me. I just can't find the time to write my mind the way I want it to read."--Wilco, "Box Full of Letters" from AM

PS: Want to hear some of this stuff? Go set up a Pandora account and make a No Depression station. You won't regret it.

3 comments:

htownjenny said...

Sorry, I know that was not even tangentially about this election. But all Walker's photos of scary crones were starting to depress me. I needed to take the blog to a happy place for a minute.

Walker said...

I never really got into "Alt Country". I do like Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson, of course. Also, I have always liked Kelly Willis.

I was always more of a Brit Pop kid....The Who, The Beatles, XTC, the Cure, U2, etc.

And Prince, of course.

WD

htownjenny said...

Britpop AOK withe me--More recently, what about Blur and Oasis? I like them too. But this is a longer conversation for another time, perhaps. Double date at the Kelvin arms, anyone?